Careers and Gateway Department
Career education is integrated into the curriculum across all year levels in the school. The career centre has a wide range of resources and services available to all students including access to the NZ Career Services site and Career Quest-a computer assisted career guidance programme.
The department offers a range of services which includes:
- One on one interview’s for all Year 13 students;
- We provide career planning advice for all students;
- School Careers Expo and Option Night which is held to coincide with option subject choices;
- Guest speakers covering all types of providers and employment;
- Help with preparing CVs;
- Visits from the liaison staff of tertiary institutions to help students with applications;
- Gateway programme –a work based learning programme for senior students;
- Assistance with interview skills;
- Study link information.
Our primary means of communication with the students of MarcellinCollege is through daily notices and the careers notice board. Parents are welcome to phone the Careers Department and meet with the Careers Advisor to discuss their student’s career plan, transition or gateway programme.
This is a school-wide Year 12 programme for one period a week which includes four topics. These topics include financial literacy, preparation of CVs and visits from tertiary and course providers and study skills programme. Students can gain 5 NCEA level 2 credits in this programme.
This programme is designed to strengthen the pathways for students to progress from school to the workplace. It provides opportunities to “test drive” career choices and helps students make informed choices about their future direction. Students learn industry based skills and gain valuable experience and knowledge. NCEA credits can be achieved towards national qualifications.
Ko te ara mahi
Careers Advisor / Gateway Coordinator: Mrs S Pawlick
Careers Assistant: Mrs D Ayson
Student Transition Support: Mr P Sutton
Scholarships: Dr J Roberson
Telephone: 625 6509, Extension 722